The key points in achieving this mission are:
- Raise awareness and promote use of Management Science in the pharmaceutical industry
- Foster sharing of ideas, challenges, and learning to increase overall level of knowledge and skill in this area
- Provide training opportunities to ensure continual growth within Pharmaceutical Management Science
- Encourage interaction and networking among peers in this area
The Journal is published in electronic format on the Association’s Web site. The Journal publishes manuscripts that advance knowledge across a wide range of practical issues in the application of techniques to solve Pharmaceutical Management Science problems, and that support the professional growth of Association members. Once per year, The Journal of the PMSA publishes a wide range of peer-reviewed practice papers, research articles and professional briefings written by industry experts and academics. Articles focus on the issues of key importance to pharmaceutical management science practitioners.
Please submit correspondence to:
Pharmaceutical Management Science Association
1024 Capital Center Drive, Suite 205
Frankfort, KY 40601
Abstracts for the 2024 edition of the Journal are now being accepted. Click here to read our submission guidelines. — Abstracts are due by September 5, 2023.
- Data Curation – Identifying and Fixing Mistakes in the Data
JP Tsang, PhD and MBA (INSEAD), President, Bayser Consulting
- The Evolution of Pharma Field Force Deployment and Targeting
Ashvin Bhogendra, Senior Director, Axtria; Abhilash Sain, Senior Director, Axtria; Anjali Attri, Associate Director, Axtria; Monal Tenguria, Manager, Axtria
- Enhancing Patient Classification and Staging in RWD Using Machine Learning
Arrvind Sunder, Principal, ZS Associates; Atharv Sharma, Advanced Data Science Manager, ZS Associates; Priyanka Halder, Associate Principal, ZS Associates
- Individualized Customer Journeys Using Bayesian Statistics: Mapping Optimal Sequences of Interaction
Teis Kristensen, Project Lead, Axtria; Kritika Singhal, Data Science Manager, Johnson & Johnson; Ramesh Krishnan, Principal, Axtria
- Boosting Commercial Performance Through Creation of No-Code AI Pipelines
Gili Keshet, MBA, Head of Content, Verix and Shahar Cohen, PhD, CTO, Verix
- A Causal Modeling Approach for Estimating the Impact of Predictive Customer Recommendations
Sri Krishna Rao Achyutuni, Senior Data Scientist, ZS Associates and Srinivas Chilukuri, Principal Data Scientist, ZS Associates
- Impact of Applying SDOH on Prescription Fill Rate Analysis
Russell D. Robbins, MD, MBA, Chief Medical Information Officer, PurpleLab, and Douglas Londono, PhD, VP of Advanced Analytics, PurpleLab
- Key Drivers for Successful Patient Event Prediction: Empirical Findings on What Matters and to What Extent
Srinivas Chilukuri, Principal Data Scientist, ZS Associates and Sagar Madgi, Senior Data Scientist, ZS Associates
- Maladies of Claims Data: Manifestations, Origins, and Cures
JP Tsang, PhD & MBA (INSEAD), President of Bayser Consulting and Igor Rudychev, Head of US Digital, Data, and Innovations, AstraZeneca
- AI Algorithms for Disease Detection: Methodological Decisions for Development of Models Validated Through a Clinical, Analytical, and Commercial Lens
Brian Malpede, Manager; Goksu Dogan, Principal; Scott Moreland, Data Scientist; Rabe’e Cheheltani, Consultant; Brittany Fischer, Associate Consultant; Suyin Lee, Manager; Nadea Leavitt, Principal and US Lead; Orla Doyle, Lead Data Scientist; John Rigg, Senior Principal and Global Lead, IQVIA Predictive Analytics
- Empowering Clinical Decisions Using Machine Learning Prediction of Prognostic Biomarkers for Patient Disease Progression
Ariel Han, Engagement Manager, Commercial Effectiveness, Symphony Health Solutions; Vikram Singh, Principal, Commercial Effectiveness, Symphony Health Solutions; Rick Rosenthal, Senior Principal, Commercial Effectiveness, Symphony Health Solutions; Ewa J. Kleczyk, PhD, Vice President, Symphony Health Solutions
- A Novel Interpretable Machine Learning Approach as a Commercial Decision Support Tool
Avgoustinos Filippoupolitis PhD; Michael Kusnetsov PhD; Nicola Lazzarini PhD; Hariklia Eleftherohorinou PhD—Machine Learning & Artificial Intelligence Solutions Global Unit, Real World Solutions, IQVIA
- xDM Explainable Decision Models
Marc-david Cohen, PhD, Chief Science Officer Emeritus, Aktana Inc. and Pini Ben-Or, MA, MPhil, Chief Science Officer, Aktana Inc.
- AI Plus Real-World Data for Early Prediction of Disease Progression and Operationalized Precision Targeting
Brian Malpede, Manager; Stephanie Roy, Principal; Patrick Long, Data Scientist; Emin Ozkan, Data Scientist; Ryan Hopson, Consultant; Nadea Leavitt, Principal and US Lead; Orla Doyle, Lead Data Scientist; John Rigg, Senior Principal and Global Lead, IQVIA Predictive Analytics
- A Method for Physician Segmentation and Brand Activation Prediction Using Claims Data
Mert Sahin, Chief Marketing Officer, Imaging, GE Healthcare and Ashish Patel, Co-founder, CareSet Systems
- Simple Probability Models for Predicting Aggregate or Sparse Data: An Empirical Analysis of Projecting Patient Persistency
Srihari Jaganathan, Head, Advanced Analytics, UCB Inc. and Ka Lok Lee, Senior Associate Director, Advanced Analytics and Consulting Services, IQVIA
- An Approach to Operationalizing Next Best Action in Pharmaceutical Communications and Marketing
Marc-david Cohen, Ph.D., Chief Science Officer, Aktana Inc.; Amy Baer, Senior Data Scientist, Aktana Inc.; Michael Steiner, Senior Data Scientist, Aktana Inc.
- Aligning Product Forecasts to Physician Target Universe
Ester Oben Etah, Principal, Launch Excellence, IQVIA
- The Power of Feature Engineering Automation
Jean-Patrick Tsang, PhD & MBA (INSEAD), President of Bayser
- Advanced Targeting for TV and Digital Case Studies
Bob Doyle, Senior Director, Consumer, US Brand & Marketing CoE, IQVIA; Daniel Vun Kannon, Manager, Client Solutions, US Brand & Marketing CoE, IQVIA; Yong Cai, Director, Advanced Analytics, IQVIA
- Dynamic Asymptote Approach to Measure Interaction Among Promotion Channels
Shubham Lahoti, Associate Director, Axtria; Varun Jain, Associate Director, Axtria; and Adarsh Gautam, Project Lead, Axtria
- Building an Oncology Data Visualization Platform to Leverage Integrated Patient Data and Analytics
Gita Mishkin, MPH, Principal, Brand Analytics and Center of Excellence, Symphony Health; Paula Fullman, MSOD, Vice President, Patient Analytics Center of Excellence, Symphony Health; Don Faust, Lead Consultant, Patient Analytics Center of Excellence, Symphony Health
- Improve HCP Email Message Response Through Personalized and Optimal Messaging Strategies Derived From Machine Learning Models
Anna Decker, Ph.D., Senior Data Scientist, Aktana Inc. and Marc-David Cohen, Ph.D., Chief Science Officer, Aktana Inc.
- A Way Forward: Leveraging Advanced Diagnostic Testing to Unlock the Value of Precision Medicine
Dave Smart, Director, Knowledge & Insights, Diaceutics; Steve Vitale, Managing Director, Marketing Team, Diaceutics; and Jeff Waldron, MBA, former Executive Director, PM Connective
- Estimating Sales Force Efficiency in the Pharma Industry
Ashish Ranjan Jha, Managing Principal, Analytical Wizards
- Applying Real-World Evidence Data for Measuring Pharmaceutical Digital Media Programs
Ira Haimowitz, PhD, Vice President, Product Strategy, Crossix and Whitney Kemper, Sr. Director, Analytics Products, Crossix
- Improving Accuracy in Rare Disease Patient Identification Using Pattern Recognition Ensembles
Tim Hare, Sr. Manager, CE-Analytics, Symphony Health Solutions; Pratibha Sharan, Senior Consultant, Commercial Effectiveness Team, Symphony Health Solutions; Ewa J. Kleczyk, PhD, Vice President of Client Analytics, Symphony Health Solutions; Derek Evans, Sr. Vice President & General Manager, Symphony Health Solutions
- Clinical In-Market Leading Indicators for Brand Performance
Nitin Choudhary, Principal, Symphony Health Solutions; Ewa Kleczyk, PhD, Vice President of Client Analytics, Symphony Health Solutions; Rajkumar Rajabathar, Engagement Manager, Symphony Health Solutions
- Deploying Machine Learning for Commercial Analytics
Jean-Patrick Tsang, PhD and MBA (INSEAD), President of Bayser Consulting
- The Causes and Solutions of Chronic Drug Shortages in the United States: The Important Role of Better Analytics – A Commentary
George A. Chressanthis, Ph.D., Principal Scientist, Axtria Inc.
- Sales Analytics and Big Data Developments Needed Now to Address Practitioner-Identified Emerging Biopharmaceutical Sales Force Strategic and Operational Issues
George A. Chressanthis, Ph.D., Principal Scientist, Axtria and Murali Mantrala, Ph.D., Sam M. Walton Distinguished Professor of Marketing, University of Missouri, Columbia
- A New Path to Understanding the Physician’s Decision Journey Using Simulated Patients
Chandra Chaterji, Consultant, and Greg Chu, Chief Operating Officer, InTask, Inc.
- Value Proposition of Diagnostic Test Data
Kishan Kumar, Associate Director, Axtria and Juhi Parikh, Project Lead, Axtria
- Leveraging Predictive Analytics to Derive Patient Adherence Drivers
Ewa J. Kleczyk, Ph.D., Executive Director, Commercial Effectiveness Analytics, Symphony Health Solutions and Derek Evans, Senior Vice President, Symphony Health Solutions
- Anticipating the Market Access Outlook for Drugs in R&D
Walter Brooks, Founder and Vice President, Equinox Group; David Godolphin, Vice President, Equinox Group; and Allan Miller, Vice President, Equinox Group
- Leveraging CMS Open Payments Data to Identify Channel Preferences and Gather Competitive Intelligence, Thereby Improving HCP Targeting
Rahul Anand, Engagement Manager, Mu Sigma; Duggan Collier, Deputy Director, Commercial Analytics, Bayer; Yan Jiang, Director, Business Insights, Rare Diseases, Bayer; Janardhan Vellore, Director, Commercial Analytics, Bayer
- How a Lack of Data Integration Can Hurt Patient Services
Anshul Agarwal, Principal, ZS
- Tele-Detailing: How a Late-Stage Pharma Brand Combats the Loss of Field Sales Force Coverage
Jane Portman, Sr. Director, Analytics, Merkle; Alice Liang, Associate Director, Analytics, Merkle; Paul Spiegler, Senior Director, Strategy, Merkle Health
- Using Predictive and Prescriptive Analytics to Inform Pharmaceutical Market Forecasting: Insights from a Nationwide Lab Test Database
Jason Bhan, MD, Executive Vice President and Co-Founder, Medivo; Tatiana Sorokina, MSc, Sr. Manager, Advanced Analytics and Insights, Medivo; Karry Calderon, Medical Affairs, Medivo; Carol Smyth, MB, Medical Director, Medivo
- The Value of EMR Data: Unlocking Insights That Drive Pharma Sales
Steve Love, Principal, ZS Associates; Sudhanshu Bhatnagar, Business Consulting Manager, ZS Associates; Greg Rickman, Business Consultant, ZS Associates; Jedy Wang, Business Associate Consultant, ZS Associates
- The Evolving Art of Customer Valuation
Juhi Parikh, Associate, Axtria Inc. and Kedar Naphade, Ph.D., Senior Principal, Axtria Inc.
- National Lab Test Database Provides Valuable Marketing Insights From All Stages of the Patient Journey
Mark Degatano, Senior Vice President, Analytics & Pharma Solutions, Medivo Inc.; Tatiana Sorokina, Senior Manager, Advanced Analytics & Insights, Medivo Inc.; Carol Smyth, Medical Editor, Medivo Inc.
- A Smart Approach to Select Test Cities for a DTC Pilot
Razek Karnoub, Ph.D., Director, Axtria Inc. and David Wood, Ph.D., Senior Principal, Axtria Inc.
- Embracing EHR Data for Competitive Advantages in the Pharmaceutical Market
Steve Davis, Vice President and General Manager, Life Sciences, Humedica and Amie Moreno, Account Management, Humedica
- Unlocking the Value of Closed Loop Marketing Analytics to Drive Customer Centricity
Pratap Khedkar, Managing Principal, ZS Associates, and Saby Mitra, Associate Principal, ZS Associates
- Understanding Physician Influence: Advances in Secondary Data Analysis and Network Science
Gregory Gallo, Vice President & Practice Leader, Activate Networks and Pete DeWan PhD, Chief Scientific Officer & Vice President, Analytics, Activate Networks
- The Changing Landscape is Calling for a Revamping of Our Toolbox – What Are We To Do?
Jean Patrick Tsang, PhD and MBA (INSEAD), President of Bayser
- Optimizing Sales and Marketing Operations Using Potential Scores
Kevin Kirby, Michael Allen Company
- The Relative Contribution of Message Optimization and Physician Targeting on Enhancing Detail Effectiveness An Application Using a Discrete Choice Approach in the Oncology and Primary Care Markets
Brian H. Gibbs, Ph.D,Vice President, Consulting Analytics, ImpactRx, a Symphony Health Solutions Company
Guidelines for Authors
Summary of manuscript structure:
An abstract should be included, comprising approximately 150 words. Six key words are also required. All articles and papers should be accompanied by a short (about 100 words) description of the author(s) and, if appropriate, the organization of which he or she is a member.
For practitioners working in the pharmaceutical industry, and the consultants and other supporting professionals working with them, the Journal offers the opportunity to publish leading-edge thinking to a targeted and relevant audience.
Industry submissions should represent the work of the practical application of management science methods or techniques to solving a specific pharmaceutical marketing analytic problem. Preference will be given to papers presenting original data (qualitative or quantitative), case studies and examples. Submissions that are overtly promotional are discouraged and will not be accepted.
Industry submissions should aim for a length of 3000-5000 words and should be written in a 3rd person, objective style. They should be referenced to reflect the prior work on which the paper is based. References should be presented in Vancouver format.
For academics studying the domains of management science in the pharmaceutical industry, the journal offers an opportunity for early publication of research that is unlikely to conflict with later publication in higher-rated academic journals.
Academic submissions should represent original empirical research or critical reviews of prior work that are relevant to the pharmaceutical management science industry. Academic papers are expected to balance theoretical foundations and rigor with relevance to a non-academic readership. Submissions that are not original or that are not relevant to the industry are discouraged and will not be accepted.
Academic submissions should aim for a length of 3000-5000 words and should be written in a 3rd person, objective style. They should be referenced to reflect the prior work on which the paper is based. References should be presented in Vancouver format.
Expert Opinion Submissions:
For experts working in the Pharmaceutical Management Science area, the journal offers the opportunity to publish expert opinions to a relevant audience.
Expert opinion submissions should represent original thinking in the areas of marketing and strategic management as it relates to the pharmaceutical industry. Expert opinions could constitute a review of different methods or data sources, or a discussion of relevant advances in the industry.
Expert opinion submissions should aim for a length of 2000-3000 words and should be written in a 3rd person, objective style. Whilst references are not essential for expert opinion submissions, they are encouraged and should be presented in Vancouver format.
Industry, academic and expert opinion authors are invited to contact the editor directly if they wish to clarify the relevance of their submission to the journal or seek guidance regarding content before submission. In addition, academic or industry authors who wish to cooperate with other authors are welcome to contact the editor who may be able to facilitate useful introductions.
Items to consider:
- What is the central message of the article you propose to write (the 'aha')? What is important, useful, new, or counter-intuitive about your idea? Why do managers need to know about it?
- How can your idea be applied in business today (the 'so what')?
- For which kinds of companies would the idea NOT work well? For which kinds of companies would it work especially well? Why?
- What projects/research have you conducted to support the argument in your article?
- On what previous work (either of your own or of others) does this idea build?
- What is the source of your authority? What academic, professional, or personal experience will you draw on?